Artist Interview: Illah Yates

Artist Interview: Illah Yates

Tell us about yourself and your music


I am a married man with 2 small children. I’ve been making music since I was a young teenager which includes Hip-Hop, R&B, and Producing. My music is a mixture of bouncy Hip-Hop/R&B beats, catchy hooks, and melodic vocals, also lyrical, but witty, new school verses with a wide range of content and topics.


Talk to us more about your latest release


My latest release is a song entitled “Sorry Party”. It has a Jazz/Hip-Hop/R&B feel and was produced, written and performed by myself. The meaning of the song is metaphorical. It is about myself giving an apology to my lover in a party/celebratory sense.



What inspired you to write this release?


I was going through troubles in my marriage and felt I needed to be a man and apologize for any wrong I’ve done or hurt I’ve caused. But instead of setting a depressing mood, I set the tone with a vision of making my apology a more uplifting one and have fun with my wife. “Sorry Party”.


Describe the writing and recording process


The process did not take much to make this record. It was easy for me to write and produce Sorry Party because it is a dedication to my wife. I know she loves Jazz, I know she loves R&B, I know she likes to occasionally go out and have fun. So I used all that I know about her and genuinely added the lyrics to it. I recorded myself as well which gave me more focus in the studio.


Any plans to release a video?


Yes. I have already released a lyric video for fans and audiences to really see what I am talking about and where I’m coming from. However, a visual music video is well needed and coming soon.



Any plans to hit the road?


Yes, I have always wanted to go on tour. I just seemed to be misfortunate in that area. I have performed this song in Brooklyn, NY and various places in Virginia thus far.


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


My short answer is to tell people to just listen to my music for themselves. If I had to explain what my sound is like, then I would tell you that it is nothing short of genius. I stand out by being lyrical, with various deliveries/flows and melodies. I make so many diverse songs about different subject manners. My recent music involves no profanity whatsoever. And every one of my tracks are produced by myself so any song you hear is all my ideas and creativity.


Who have you been listening to lately?


I really haven’t had a chance to listen to much other music because of working on my own so much. But in spare time I would listen to Drake, Future, Travis Scott etc.


Who are your biggest influences?


DMX, Lauryn Hill, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Hot Boys, Dr. Dre, Swizz Beatz, and MJ of course


Tell us about your passions


My family is my heart, soul, and motivation to accomplish anything in life. I am a very talented artist as well in painting and drawing. Also, like most people, I have always been motivated to make some money, legally of course.


What else is happening next in your world?


Being successful is always the main goal. I strive to succeed so as long as I am focused, dedicated and remain talented, then it is never impossible to make any dream a reality.


 


 


Thanks for an awesome interview, Jared


 


 


Connect with Illah Yates


Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ay.yatesTwitter: https://www.twitter.com/wepowerup1700Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/powerup804Soundcloud: https://www.soundcloud.com/illahyates89Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEBz-5FCw2aocmZyv772ZSQ?view_as=subscriber




Genres: Hip Hop, R&B, Rap, singer-songwriter

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts