A star is here to shine

A star is here to shine

Tell us about yourself and your music


I was born in Nigeria and migrated to the United States. Served in the US military while also in college (Minnesota State University, Mankato). Met my husband, Jeremy Steffl, got married in Hawaii and now we have 3 sons (Jaden, Julian and Jaxon). I started singing in church choir. As I got older I found my love in rapping as well by listening to rappers like Lil Wayne, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, and the list goes on. My kind of music is unique. I sing, rap and also do afro/dance hall music.


Talk to us more about your latest release


My latest release is titled Mater (Latin word which means Mother). I wrote this song and gave it that title to show strength and growth to everyone who has ever doubted me. I learned from a young age as well as after I had my first child that nothing compares to the strength of a Mother. This song is personal to me and I will always be grateful for the experience.



What inspired you to write this release?


I got my inspiration to finally write and co-produce Mater with my husband Jeremy, after  the bad experience I had with my other two recordings in Atlanta. For years I have had people tell me I couldn’t do it, they’d says words like ‘Freda, you really can’t make it into the music industry because you have that African accent and your music will never sell in America’. I wanted a song that would show how non of their words defeated my passion and talent. I didn’t want to crawl into hiding and give power to their hate or disapproval. I am Freda and I get to decide my path.


Describe the writing and recording process


The writing process was fun as I had all 4 of my boys (my husband and our 3 sons) dancing to the beat as I write. It took me good 16 hours to complete the entire song while also loving on my family. As at the time I finished writing, I didn’t have a studio booked to record in Minnesota. My previous recordings have all been done in Atlanta, Georgia. After the writing process, my husband, Jeremy got on the phone calling studios up in Minneapolis. He got me booked with Winterland studios in New Hope, Minnesota. Recording in Minnesota was better than my I expected. I was able to record the entire song in 2 hours. I had so much energy and enjoyed the recording process. It felt like I was on stage performing.


Any plans to hit the road?


Yes I do have plans to hit the road as soon as my album is complete.


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


I sing, I dance, I rap and I’m also great with afro music. That’s like having a whole package. I also have a great style that I haven’t seen with other artist. My best attribute is my love, creativeness and passion for what I do.


Who have you been listening to lately?


Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, Drake, Lil kim and Cardi B


Who are your biggest influences?


Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj and lil Kim


Tell us about your passions


Music is my passion. I can’t do anything, literally, without music. I have to have music to clean my house, music while I walk from dropping my kid off at school, music while I run. I even listen to music when I feel sad and it uplifts me immediately. Music is life. I am also very passionate about my little family. I love my husband and our boys and they’re my motivation.


What else is happening next in your world?


While working on my music, I am also putting in work to expand my brand to include my own perfume and clothing line. I do struggle with clothes shopping being a tiny lady. Most brands out there do not have a lot of fittings for ladies my size. The pants are extremely too long, waist not as small to fit, their extra small tops are like a medium fit and I know there are ladies like me out there with same struggles.


 


 


Thanks for an awesome interview, Freda


 


 


Connect with Freda


Website: http://www.fredasteffl.comFacebook: http://www.facebook.com/fredaInstagram: http://www.instagram.com/fredastefflTwitter: http://www.twitter.com/fredastefflSoundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-36486429




Genres: Hip Hop

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts