Artist Interview: TPK

Artist Interview: TPK

Tell us about yourself and your music


My music is dark, moody, underground stuff with emotional delivery and rhymes. Here’s the funny thing, I’ve tried to make light hearted music that was uplifting but everything I ever made in that style stuck so I decided to tap into my inner demons and well, you have my style.


 


Talk to us more about your latest release


“The Club” is something that represents the emotional turmoil that I’ve been through from 2013-2016. Music is like therapy to me, it likes help me release and I think I showed what I can do with “The Club”. The sounds are Asian and confusing on purpose in order to give a “Lost in Translation” feeling; because I felt like I didn’t fit in and I really wanted to fit in and understand but I couldn’t.


 


https://soundcloud.com/tpkszn/sets/the-club


 


What inspired you to write this release?


I’m autistic, have bipolar and ADHD so the thoughts kept reoccurring and reoccurring until the day when they came out. I’ve been trying to make this kind of album from one year but always kept failing, I think I’m finally at peace with myself with this album.


Any plans to release a video?


Only if I can get appropriate funds for a director and some equipment.


 


Any plans to hit the road?


I might do some free venues around California but I don’t have much money to rent out venues for my performances.


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


Well originally, I’ve been using my real name but people were having trouble pronouncing it so I went with a 3 letter acronym of my name. It works beautifully in terms of branding and music making as it forces me to make competitive music to get myself out there. It also helps that it’s easy to pronounce and easy to remember. The music is unique in that I have a unique production style, I can’t make mainstream beats for the like of me, I tried but I’m comfortable underground.


Who have you been listening to lately?


ScHoolboy Q, Bryson Tiller, that new A Tribe Called Quest Album and the proverbial N.W.A classic “Eli4zaggin” for mood reasons. I listen to a lot of stuff but these are the ones I frequently listen to…



Tell us about your passions


Well, I do occasional blogging but that depends on how interested I am in doing it. Had a vaporwave blog and let me just say that it was draining to review like 6-7 albums everyday; when you listen to a genre as diverse as that and still manage to lose interest then that says a lot about how interest can be killed overtime.


Other than that, gaming (which I rarely do but when I do, watch out!) and eating the most diverse food possible in historic downtowns.


What else is happening next in your world?


Well I’m going to release like 4-5 albums this year. I’ve been on a hot streak in terms of making the music but getting people to listen to the music is another thing. It’s going to be hard to break through but I’m hoping I can do so because I really want people to listen to my music and I want people to know that I’m not just this person, I’m a person who overcame autism and made myself rich.


Thanks for an awesome interview, Taylor!


 


 


Connect with TPK


Website: http://tpkszn.com

Facebook: https://facebook.com/tpkszn

Twitter: https://twitter.comtpkszn

YouTube: https://youtube.com/user/taylorkarras

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/tpkszn




Genres: Hip Hop, Rap

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts