Artist Interview: Sandy Hathaway

Artist Interview: Sandy Hathaway

Tell us about yourself and your music


My music is soulful, acoustic coupled with trained guitar and vocals. My music especially well with wine room, coffee shop and restaurant venues. I began singing cover songs and original music in the coffee shops in Arizona. I don’t write to any specific genre, the songs evolve into a genre between the polishing up and recording process. I refer to my genre as Indie most of the time because I have blue grass, pop, rock, country, jazz, folk and Irish folk.



Talk to us more about your latest release


I released two EPs in 2016, one is an EP with an eclectic mix of new songs called Red Sky at Morning. Each track is recorded using instruments that relate to the music flow and lyrics. The song Red Sky at Morning is a modern Irish sea shanty with bagpipes recorded by Patrick D’ Arcy. He has played for some familiar figures including Bono (U2), Quincy Jones, Daniel Lanois and Oprah Winfrey. Many other fabulous artists play the songs on this EP.


The second CD is a children’s folk music recording called Milkweed Seeds.


 



 


What inspired you to write this release?


My inspiration comes from my past, growing up in West Michigan by Lake Michigan, the beutiful vegetation, the country folks, past relationships, anything I can relate to from my past or present. I like to use words as a medium to paint a portrait of what I remember or see in my own mind. I use metaphors and apply the type of music that helps describe the details.


Any plans to release a video?


I will be recording a video in the next month. I have several songs that have not been recorded. I am working on a single called One More Kiss, we just need final vocals on this track. I have entered my two songs for the Tucson Folk Festival Songwriting Contest again this year.


 


Any plans to hit the road?


Yes, I will be heading down to Tucson to play a Valentines Day dinner at Arizona National Golf Club. They invite me for special events such as New Years Eve and Valentines Day. I have played this venue for three years now. I play popular music and my original music for live shows


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


I do write in multiple genres so I try to generalise the music as Indie Acoustic or Indie Folk music. This may include country, blues, jazz and rock so in order to identify the music I look at how some of my influences are labeling their music


Who have you been listening to lately?


Tom Waits, John Hiatt, Patty Griffin, Gillian Welch, Sarah Bareilles, Dar Williams, Richard Shindell, Lucy Kaplansky and Birdy.


Tell us about your passions


Family, art and nature are a few of my favorites. I feed my hummingbirds, selective gardening, artwork, sewing, reading but I find most of my time is consumed with music. I try to carve out time for thes other activities because stepping away from music can be refreshing and renew the creative process.


What else is happening next in your world?


New single will be release soon, when I find the time to record the vocals. The Gilbert and Tucson Folk Festivals will be coming up. I play both each year. I’m always writing new material and have two new songs ready to record.


Thanks for an awesome interview, Sandra!


 


 


Connect with Sandy Hathaway


https://www.youtube.com/user/torishei8




Genres: singer-songwriter

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts