Artist Interview: KaiSon

Artist Interview: KaiSon

 


Tell us about yourself and your music


I was born in Brownsville Brooklyn 22 years ago. I am an indie artist and recent college graduate. I embarked upon a music career in May of 2013 upon returning home from college for summer break. Unable to find employment I began working on my first mixtape, an independent project entitled Soulstice, which spanned the gamut of musical sounds from old school Hip-Hop to rap to jazz. Originally capturing my raps on my mother’s blackberry, I made a decision to finally begin recording in a professional recording studio. Within the first hour of my professional recording session, I had successfully recorded the songs, “CHUM Freestyle” and “Say What I Feel,” which was featured on the Soulstice CD. I can best be described as an edutainer – intelligent, conscientious, creative, and a clear speaking lyricist.


I released my sophomore mixtape entitled “I AM VERY POWERFUL” upon completion of my second year of college. During my 3rd year of college, I traveled to California to work with an Emmy award winning music producer recommended to me by a licensing company looking to sign me. I recorded multiple tracks which have yet to be released. I documented that trip in the short film “Cali Kronicles,” https://youtu.be/ekhhMGHp6Rk, a video history of my first trip to California with my friends, detailing the work I put in at a studio. Two of the tracks took me to the finals of the Unsigned Only and International Songwriting Competitions in 2015. I won First Place in the 2015 Unsigned Only Competition with the song “I Know You Like Me (Sex-Party-Sex)” in the Digital Distribution special promotion.


In connection with DJ Shiftee’s Hot Mom USA label, after hearing some of my music, Shiftee sent me a beat and, of course, I spit fire on it. The track was released May 2017 and the industry is already abuzz. Shiftee and I have since collaborated on a soon-to-be-released EP which will drop on his HOT MOM music label.


I am looking forward to having more time to perform live and to focus on music. I am currently completing two new projects at this time, i.e. my third mixtape, titled Soulstice 2, Prerequisite and my first EP titled, Bachelor of Arts. I am looking forward to continued success in the music field and hope to meet more people who can take him to new levels.



Talk to us more about your latest release


I am currently working on two releases, which I am very proud of, Soulstice 2 – Prereqisite and the Bachelor of Arts. These are the first projects that I get to debut my production skills. I wrote all the lyrics and did all the production. I am a very hands-on person, and other than my mom who helps me a lot, it’s just me.


 



 


What inspired you to write this release?


I’m inspired by my life experiences and want to follow up on my first mixtape, Soulstice. I am really anxious to debut my production skills. I worked hard to develop the skill set and I want people to see and appreciate my growth.


 


Any plans to release a video?


Yes, I have a video for Hot Today being released in the next couple of days which I am excited about, and another video shoot scheduled for later this month. The video at the end of the month is for a track I did with my cousin Tiara titled “Thank You”. That track is off the charts and grandma approved. My family was included in the Hot Today video which was awesome and my country family will be included in the Thank You video. I try to make my family part of everything I am doing in music. My youtube video links for those videos are not available at this moment so I will just include my general youtube channel. Look for Hot Today in the next few days and Thank You later this month or early October.


Any plans to hit the road?


I am considering performing on the September 19th Faces in the Crowd Showcase. I really want to perform more, but the showcases are a bit expensive. I believe I’m a natural stage performer. I love to hit the stage. My dream, for now, is to perform during the South by South West Festival. Ultimately it is to perform at the Grammys.


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


Well, I’ve recently created my own company $traight Fact$. I write my own lyrics and because I make my own beats, “I’ve already beat the competition”. That’s a line from a track I write titled, 3 Train. So don’ nobody bite (aight)! I like to work with artists that have a clear vision for who they are and where they want their music to go, like DJ Shiftee. I keep my online presence active, my radio channel is live, my website is live so I can speak directly to my fans. I like to network, I think that is important. I’ve made friends all over the world. I also push my merchandise, t-shirts, hats, bags, pens, etc. I work hard and I pray the hard work will pay off and set me apart.


Who have you been listening to lately?


I listen to School Boy Q, A$AP, Jay Z, Kanye, Travis Scott, DJ Shiftee and Zukye Ardella, and of course Kenrick Lamar. That’s my go to music.


Tell us about your passions


What gets me out of bed in the morning? My family gets me out of bed in the morning. I am passionate about music because I believe it will help me to be successful and then I can be the person they can come to for support. Everything I do is for my family and that messages comes through a lot in my music.


What else is happening next in your world?


I’m about to release my first solo EP, Bachelor of Arts, and a single with Dre-One Beats. Additionally, I’ve completed an EP with DJ Shiftee which will be released soon on his HOT MOM label. I’ve been working real hard. I want to do more performances, shoot more videos and do more collaborations.


Thanks for an awesome interview, Charles!


 


 


Connect with KaiSon


Website: https://www.flykaison.com


Twitter: https://twitter.com/flykaison

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrKa1Son

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/flykaison

Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/ka1son




Genres: Rap

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts