Artist Interview: Rob Hayes (or RBHYS)

Artist Interview: Rob Hayes (or RBHYS)

Tell us about yourself and your music


I am a former US marine and Iraq vet making feel good music as well as music with powerful messages. I believe in connecting with people’s hearts because all my music comes from my heart. I come from Lansing Michigan but I reside in LA. Some of my music is about partying, having fun and some of my music is about righteousness and self improvement. I was raised in the church as well as in the streets so it all reflects in what I write.


Talk to us more about your latest release


My latest release is an EP called Sound Off. I start with Triumph, a very powerful message about the meaning of life, overcoming huge obstacles, fighting depression and finding purpose. The second Track I love it is about this love triangle I had that turned into a threesome. Third track LA Nites is my tribute to the Los Angeles nightlife, I was a club promoter when I first moved here and it really made me fall in love with the city along the way I met a lot of good people who rise and fall and rise again. The final track Live Forever is a threefold message, almost a sermon about Flesh and Spirit and how through our music and gods purpose for our lives we can leave an impact that lasts forever. The track features Zoh (From the band Breaking Heights) and Albe Back ( Brooklyn from the movie ATL)


 


What inspired you to write this release?


Sound Off EP is a sample of what’s to come on the Sound Off LP. To Sound Off in the military is to speak very confident and loud so that commands on the battlefield can be heard even in the heat of a firefight. Life itself is a daily battle so I am inspired by the fact that I survived Iraq to tell my story to the world.


Any plans to release a video?


Yes, there are plans. I’ve been in talks with a few content creators about doing a short film style video and interwieving the whole EP to make the story connect in a way that people come away wanting more.


 


Any plans to hit the road?


Yes I have plans to hit the road, I have received offers from promoters. I’ve been playing local gigs in LA. It’s definitely time to start opening for national headliners If any promoters are interested they can reach out to my team via email rob@rbhys.com


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


I have been releasing a freestyle video everyday for 30 days to bring awareness to PTSD via an Instagram account @robhayesraps. My production, songwriting concepts and style of rap is top echelon so I stand out from most of what’s on the radio. I also design my own wardrobe.


Who have you been listening to lately?


I listen to all genres but my favorites right now are Nick Grant, Migos , Anderson Paak, Soulection Radio, Forever Anti Pop, Everyone on TDE, J Cole, Childish Gambino, Gucci Mane, YG, Travis Scott, Big Sean,


Tell us about your passions


My 2 children get me moving because everyday They inspire me to work harder. I’m also a advocate for veterans and civilians who have PTSD. I feel like if my music can help them to back off the edge I can help save lives.


What else is happening next in your world?


I’m a visual art designer so I plan to do an art gallery that goes along with my album. I’d like my works to be able to go into museums, I get inspired by KAWS and Takashi Murakami.


Thanks for an awesome interview, Rob!


 


 


Connect with Rob Hayes (or RBHYS)


Website: http://www.rbhysmusic.com


Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/rbhysmusic

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBjuESVR5-Mo4ypOw442INA

Soundcloud: https://www.soundcloud.com/rbhysmusic




Genres: Hip Hop

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts