Artist Interview: Flying Bricks Upstate Entertainment

Artist Interview: Flying Bricks Upstate Entertainment

Tell us about yourself and your music


I was born in Newark, NJ to the typical musically inclined black family. My mom and dad would play music to do everything from riding in the car to cleaning up the house. Most of my aunts and uncles were song birds. My mom even spent a short time in a band as a backup singer. So, it was almost second nature for me to pick up music. I grew up on and studied Hip-Hop all my life. Even those before my time. It amazes me how a small group of youth can change the world. I actually started rapping in my high school auditorium during a school assembly. A friend of mine was intensely concentrating on writing something. When I asked him he said he was writing rhymes. I said I can do that. Give me a piece of paper. That was the beginning of my first track, which I recorded with one of my moms co-workers. It was over from there. There is a famous question asked to all up and coming artist. What would you say your style is? I call my style Versability. Remember I coined that phrase. It is just what it says. Being verse able. Able to flip your words in multiple different ways. I don’t want to be stuck in one lane like some in the pass. So, when you try to keep up with the times and change your fans can’t accept it. I know I’m getting a little long winded, but I actually have a true love for not only making the music, but the culture. A culture that gives the poverty stricken urban America hope. A glimpse of a chance to get away from the desolation of the “hood”, and I truly hope that one day my words can change or save someone’s life. Look I got caught up and didn’t even give my pseudonym. It’s Speedie Da Icon.


Talk to us more about your latest release


I actually have a new single called “Give It All” set for release very soon, but my latest release is called “Rest In Paradise”. The beat was produced by my brother Success, and mixed and mastered via Tunecore artist services. It an old skill hip-hop feel even through the visuals, which you can find at https://youtu.be/Gd_vpgFdF5E. The video was shot by a great local videographer Gus Clarke for One Dream. It is also available for purchase on most major media outlets for music through Tunecore. The iTunes link is http://itunes.apple.com/album/id1071308733?ls=1&app=itunes, and the Google Play link is https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Speedie_Rest_in_Paradise?id=Bedagltdizeqykytobevufq6yom.


 


https://soundcloud.com/fbu-speedie/rest-in-paradise-mastered


 


What inspired you to write this release?


I wrote this song out of pain. This is like my rendition the hip-hop classic “Gangsta Lean”. Around 15 or 16 years of age, there was a crew of 5 of that used to hang together all the time. It was actually more, but there were 5 of that were really always together. I wrote the after the 3rd one fell to gun violence. I was broke, and music has always been my way to maintain. So, I really needed to make this track to help with the healing process. I truly felt a whole era in my life was being wiped away.


Any plans to release a video?


The video has already been released.


 



 


Any plans to hit the road?


None currently


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


Honestly, I have not really figured this out yet. I just try not to follow the wave, and be myself.


Who have you been listening to lately?


I’ve been listening to Dave East the most. He takes me back to the 90’s. And I’ve been listening to J. Cole. A little bit of Meek, but I listen to a lot of different artist. Even Raury, I like his sun child vibe.


Tell us about your passions


My family hands down. I’ve been cuddled up with my mom, dad, and sister under a heater because there is no heat in the house. Eating pinto beans for a month because we couldn’t afford food. So, the only way I will not be able to provide for my family is if I’m not breathing.


What else is happening next in your world?


I have a nest single coming called “Give It All” and an album called “Just Speed” set to drop short after this spring.


Thanks for an awesome interview, Roger!


 


 


Connect with Flying Bricks Upstate Entertainment


Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/flyingbricksspeedie/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Speedie973716

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/flyingbrickstv

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/fbu-speedie

Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/FBU_speedie




Genres: Hip Hop, Rap

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts