Artist Interview: David Gerard

Artist Interview: David Gerard

Tell us about yourself and your music


I am a thirty year veteran in the field of ambient/electronic music. I began recording and performing in NYC in 1984 – my last gig in New York was at the legendary venue, The Knitting Factory in Manhattan. Moving to Massachusetts in the early 90’s, I took nearly a decade off from music to focus on writing and photography. Then, in 2004, I began commercially recording and releasing my music through CD Baby: my debut, entitled “Compositions” was comprised of isolated works I had composed and recording during my ‘hiatus’ from music. To date, I have released 17 albums as a solo artist. I am also part of the electronic trio, Elysium: we have released three albums as part of a ‘sonic trilogy.’ I am now at work on a solo album, and a new album of collaborations with renown ambient electronic musicians, to be released this year.


Talk to us more about your latest release


My recent release, “Experimental Pop Art”, takes a look at my more avant-garde composing: it features musique concrete, found noises, vintage electronica, minimalism, jazz, and a very experimental mindset.


 


 


What inspired you to write this release?


I have released avant-garde tracks within the context of many a conceptual release, however I thought it time to dedicate an entire album specifically to experimental electronic and minimalist music.


Any plans to release a video?


There are audio-only videos of most of my discography on Youtube, uploaded through CD Baby, but I would like to do some live performing this year, and upload videos of those performances.


 



 


Any plans to hit the road?


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


I believe the music itself does that – I have cultivated a unique sound and character that is recognized by those who collect and appreciate electronic music, as a result, I find my music has gained global exposure through Internet radio, online blogs, netlabel publicity, and the like. I also have the endorsement of many other electronic music veterans and professionals, and it is indeed an honor to hear my work played alongside theirs on electronic and ambient music programs.


Who have you been listening to lately?


My tastes are quite eclectic, which I think figures prominently in my own work. I have recently discovered the sequel release by a group called Dizryhthmia – I was a huge fan of their eponymous debut, and found out “Dizrhythmia, Too” was released a few months back in 2016. By the way, it lead me to wonder if their album title was a take on my sequel to 2004’s “Compositions”, entitled, “Compositions, Too” – which came out in 2010.


Tell us about your passions


I begin my day with a morning meditation, then hit the ground running. I am the author of The Music That You Hear blog, which is dedicated to contemporary music releases and artists. I am also very passionate about art: I have studied both academically, and generally find ways to integrate (or at least pursue) both disciplines into my workflow. In addition to photography, I am an abstract watercolor painter, published poet and freelance consultant.


What else is happening next in your world?


New albums, new projects, new collaborations, new concepts, new ideas….there is always some unexplored territory waiting for me to discover it, and that is what drives me – what gets me out of bed each day, excited by the prospect of all the opportunity which lies ahead.


Thanks for an awesome interview, David!


 


 


Connect with David Gerard


Website: http://www.ambientism.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheSonicAlchemist/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ambientism

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3fILUnjX3YIomVRFPj1paw

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ambientism




Genres: Ambient

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts