Artist Interview: Sweet Caroline

Artist Interview: Sweet Caroline

Tell us about yourself and your music


Hi! The Sweet Caroline here, and I am a singer from Kansas City, Missouri in the heartland. I sang competitively through high school (#1 in state) and university, including Gospel Choir at UMKC and CCSF. Cello, African Drums, and keyboards with bands and guitar outside of class since 1988 at Toon Shop. I no longer play though but I compose. I studied blues, funk, and classic rock and flamenco in San Francisco (gospel and classical) and then was critically injured while living in Los Angeles at the new millennium. Sweet Caroline is my reaction to these events and also such a love of music. All of the talented amazing opportunities and musicians and DJ’s I have met along the way have been such a journey and have inspired me to be a better musician.


Talk to us more about your latest release


Be My Fantasy is a dance song (“1st position, 2nd position like the first…”) what more is there to say? He’s taken so i’ll sit at home slightly unhappy and fantasize. I wrote it when going home to my childhood home and about how I would be: a daydreaming housewife.


 



 


What inspired you to write this release?


I used to dance, and actively so (samba on a cruise ship, back up for a superstar) and took lessons like Amore Danse and Rhythm & Motion (hip hop academy in San Francisco in the garment district where I lived at a recording studio) so I still long to do so but am the worlds most akward repetitive weird dancer! For years i went to underground dance competitions but couldn’t freestyle to save my life so I never competed, only watched. I luuuuv dance. This song is a longing to dance with somebody.


Any plans to release a video?


Yes, Vittek Records out of Italy, an indie record label, has asked me for a video for a pilot TV Show. I began filming this weekend and am potentially working in Houston, Texas in February with a studio there IT is more erotic than my previous work. With this song I hope to represent the seductive side and dance/party side. I have one out for Bad Hesitation that I wrote. That had international radio play too with The Akademia whom I owe oodles of Love And Affection to.


 



 



Any plans to hit the road?


I am so excited for this question! I want to tour badly.

Sweet Caroline is runner up to a Pre Grammy party in February and other than that, I have the Winter Mixer at the Roxy Feb. 10th in KC The rest is still to come. I am currently not working with a band and this is intimidating, touring as a solo act.


I was hoping to hit up Denver, CO Austin TX and like Memphis TN or Nashville TN and then Mexico, Canada CA NY FL and other states where the majority of my listeners and fans live. BUT I am not picked up by a record label yet. So this hangs by a string… Eventually after such amazing international radio stations I want to tour all the way to Chile and Brazil and over through Russia Asia and Europe. But that is futuristic.


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


Man do I? I got started at open mics at the Matchbox and especially Mike Kelly’s Westsider. Through these i got to meet saxophone players like Trey DeBose and Frank Stinson, guitar players like Paul Cormaci and Dirty Dan Rice (I worked as a band in 3 or 4 renditions too) and worked with Sweet Caroline, Sweet Caroline & The Blue Rays, Sweet Caroline & The Poor Boys (who brought in an amazing day with the Blues Brothers, right out of the movies) and Sweet Caroline & The Delta Dogs, Sweet Caroline & The DejaVooDoos, etc.


Who have you been listening to lately?


cool Pia Mia and Sia, Adele and Justin Timberlake. i love DJs so Disclosure, Mr. Probs Waves, Jaenki, Making Movies, Trampled Under Foot, Samantha Fish, Carolyn Wonderland, Bonnie Raitt (always Chris Isaac and Harry Connick Jr. too). Kings of Leon, Bastille, Nikka Costa, Clean Bandit and any 90s band. Soul 2 Soul, Whitney Houston, and randomly but Kaskade and the big name DJs every night.


Tell us about your passions


music. no but really jogging and yoga and peace and harmony. Having been given a second chance at life creates a born again Buddhist type of personality.


What else is happening next in your world?


I am taking time off of film (indie and feature length film) and have rested one year at home. So I am up for just about anything.


Thanks for an awesome interview, Caroline!


 


 


Connect with Sweet Caroline


Website: http://www.iamsweetcaroline.com


Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/SweetCarolineNP


Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/SweetCarolineSkye




Genres: Pop

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts