Artist Interview: Jendelui Wavecage

Artist Interview: Jendelui Wavecage


Tell us about yourself and your music


My music exists as a set of possibilities, ideas on a theme if you like, confined by various limitations: execution, skill, technicalities, the form itself. (Translation: I don’t feel any of my songs have been adequately recorded yet). I’m 46, over my time I virtually saw things change before my eyes, multitracking even a cassette player with another one was something I only dreamed of, (I had to do that in my head, and it was not at all as easy as it sounds, for me anyway). We were poor, I shared a bedroom with two brothers, and I would borrow my brothers radio to listen to music. For a while my other brother and I were learning guitar and bass together, good times. I have probably a dozen songs I’m really happy with and want recorded/performed, and many others to set down ‘for the record’. I did vocals for one song into my phone while under a tree in the park during a time when I was homeless in winter in Launceston, people hear my music and wonder why I haven’t done this or that, well, I’m trying, really trying hard. Three years ago, as I was half way to recording this stuff, these songs that wont leave me alone, all my gear was stolen, my gibson 335 of 22 years etc etc and I was bashed and kicked got brain injury as well, but since then my appreciation and guitar playing seems to have blossomed into … something like my own voice…? It surprises me, people often used to say about my playing, that sometimes it sounds like two guitars playing together, I’m beginning to notice more. I started a patreon page to maybe see if there’s support out there.

Jane is a multi instrumentalist, but mainly has a big voice and much experience, that ability to carry an audience, my friend said of her singing: “Jane’s voice sounds like the flames on Jimi Hendrix’ guitar”.

Together we are Wavecage, and friends.



Talk to us more about your latest release


Nearly 30 years ago, 29 to be exact, I sat in a music appreciation class of a TSIT Associate Diploma of Music (Guitar). I doodled a drawing based on a scene from a movie I had seen years earlier, Young Sherlock Holmes (various cakes and pastries were trying to forcefully get themselves eaten by young Watson). The scene I’d set was an inn, and inside were all the eat-me type cakes and pastries (patrons and staff), and it was a nightclub. It was called, I decided, The Vicious Eat Me Club. I wrote a list of 11 song titles, and that, I decided, would be my album, so I set about making it. I was 17, now I’m 46 and that album has not been made! Its half done, though, so you can hear the potential and cringe at the reality.

Sometimes friends would come up with songs that were so good I had to get in on that, and this song Faces (That Just Never Smile) is one of those. I nearly deleted this, but instead it became my most played track on soundcloud. Its all instrumental (unfinished, I was bashed and robbed, long story, album tracks never finished since 9/10/2014), the bit on the end was off the cuff. I wrote the keyboard solo, rather than played it.


 



 


What inspired you to write this release?


The song is one of Tim’s, while Marcus basically wrote the tune, (band: Berko), I tweaked it ever so slightly. I was not going to release this version, which I did in my lounge at home alone with Audacity, guitar and FX pedal for click track, no, I was going to delete it. It was terrible, so I thought. Just for kicks, I mixed in a solo I’d written in Melody Assistant years ago, and it kinda worked, so I deleted other project files instead – at the time I was just starting the Eat Me project and had already run out of space, so until I could save for a bigger drive, I was deleting stuff.


Any plans to release a video?


Yes, this song has a visual story to it. Its about small towns, small lives, problem children, drinking in city dives… its full of imagery. Faces that just never smile – its Launceston, its a picture of our city. The video just about directs itself, imho. I have no money, I just do with what I’ve got. I’d love to help make the video. The video I have made is just placeholder, really, with hard to read lyrics…


 



 


Any plans to hit the road?


Still waiting on payment from the last gig, in April, lol! No, I have only an acoustic guitar with no pickup, have to borrow everything.


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


Well, I don’t. My brand is cheap, my computer science degree was done on a Pentium I 150mhz when Pentium IIIs and IVs were the new thang, I have do make do with less, I recorded some tracks even when I was homeless, you know, I haven’t worked out branding, so far its evolved from the debris left behind from other projects I’ve been involved in, and just, life.



Who have you been listening to lately?


oh lately I’ve been listening to classical music on FM radio, lol, beats traffic,

Well, lately I am listening to songs like Journey of the Sorcerer – The Eagles (its the theme for BBC radio version of HHGTTG, an audio series I been listening to also), and Once Upon A Time in the West, Dire Straits (from Alchemy Live).


Tell us about your passions


Gardening! Cooking! I like to read the writings of Jakob Lorber and associated books.


What else is happening next in your world?


Its raining, the roof is leaking buckets, its coming in to summer – I’d say, at a guess, roof repairs!


Thanks for an awesome interview, Darren!


 


 


Connect with Jendelui Wavecage


Website: https://www.patreon.com/wavecage

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Wavecage-405952559770377/


YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAX5WLjri5gyL1yo9_AWxnA

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jendelui-wavecage




Genres: Acoustic, Alternative, Ambient, Blues, Instrumental, Jamband, Rock, singer-songwriter, Women In Music, World Music

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts