Artist Interview: HippieUP

Artist Interview: HippieUP

Tell us about yourself and your music


To start off, my name is James Haynes and I am 29 years of age. I was born and raised in a very small town in Gaston County, North Carolina. My love for music started off at a very young age, banging on pots and pans my mom used to give me because my parents couldn’t afford to buy me a set of drums. Life growing up in a small town is just like it sounds; boring! The only music shows to watch were the ones on TV or the ones you put on yourself. Growing up I always had a love for beats. I was the kid in school making up a beat for the other kid to freestyle to. I wasn’t the greatest but in my opinion I wasn’t half bad. At a young age I fell in love with the drums. Something about the double bass and blast beats gave me chills. I remember getting my friends together to jam some tunes in our small garage. As I got older, I discovered my love for the guitar and the bass. Learning how to play these instruments didn’t come as easy as the drums; but I tried anyway. Life went on and so did the music. When my son was born, not only did my eyes open but my love for music expanded. I remember my son would be screaming and crying and the only thing that could quiet him was the sound of daddy’s music. That’s when I realized what I wanted to do with my life. I got my first drum pad and immediately fell in love. I try to tell a story with the sounds, like an author would with words. When I make a beat, I go in 150%. The details are very important to me, and every single note matters. My 1 year old is my critic, when he hears an imperfection he gives me the stink eye. My love for music is a result of the love for my son. My drive comes from wanting to provide the best life possible for my boy, and hopefully one day he will follow in my footsteps.


Talk to us more about your latest release


My latest release is something iv’e put a lot of effort and time into. I really tried focusing on developing and improving my sound.


https://https://soundcloud.com/hippieup/arcade-mode


 


What inspired you to write this release?


I want to push the limits of the electronic world, and create something unlike anything else out there. I want people to hear my music and know exactly who produced it.


Any plans to release a video?


I haven’t really thought of releasing a video yet, however my wife is an amazing graphic designer and wouldn’t mind making a video for one of my crazy beats.


 


Any plans to hit the road?


If the opportunity came along, I would be more then happy to.


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


I let my music speak for itself. I feel like it is its own thing. I don’t think it fits in any particular genre.


Who have you been listening to lately?


I have really been into deadmau5 lately. I really enjoy his unorthodox style of music.


Tell us about your passions


I enjoy spending time with my beautiful wife and son. Family is everything to me. I also enjoy being in nature, as well as painting and drawing when I’m in the mood.


What else is happening next in your world?


There is more music, adventures, and memories to be made.


Thanks for an awesome interview, James!


 


 


Connect with HippieUP


Twitter: https://twitter.com/HippieUP


Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/hippieup

Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/HippieUP




Genres: Electronic

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts