Artist Interview: Nico Rivers & the Black Grass

Artist Interview: Nico Rivers & the Black Grass

Tell us about yourself and your music


I’ve been performing as a solo artist since 2014 and recently teamed up with a backing band, The Black Grass. I’ve always had a love for the lush vocal harmonies of groups like Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and psychedelic atmospheres of bands like Radiohead and Pink Floyd. Working with the Black Grass has really brought these aspects out in our new record, Tiny Death.


Talk to us more about your latest release


Tiny Death will be released on May 25th and is my first full-length venture as a solo artist. I built a mobile recording rig and rented a log house in Plymouth, MA where we recorded most of the record in one week (except for “Misty Nebraska” which Emily Graham-Handley and I recorded in the woods behind a cemetery in my hometown of Marshfield, MA). The record is a blend of indie-rock and Americana.


 



 


What inspired you to write this release?


‘Tiny Death’ was inspired by transitions – changes we go through in our own lives and how they relate to changes in our universe and surroundings. Some songs are about current social events while others evolved out of moments in my own life.


Any plans to release a video?


We have a video for “Tidal Wave”, our first single, coming out Friday 4/27!


 


http://youtube.com/nicoriversmusic


 


Any plans to hit the road?


We are touring as a duo in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands June-Aug 2018 and will be touring the Northeastern US in September.


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


I do my best to be myself. It’s easy to get caught up in this stuff and for a long time, I think I took myself too seriously. I’m really proud of the work we’ve been doing now and think that being true to myself allows a unique work to come out.


Who have you been listening to lately?


A lot! My most recent Spotify plays are Bright Eyes, the Black Crowes, Snot and Van Morrison.


Tell us about your passions


Ha, I spend most of my time working on music of some sort. If I’m not performing or writing my own music, I’m recording, mixing and producing for other artists or writing music for videos. When I get some time off I’m traveling, hanging with friends, reading, watching documentaries or cartoons and exploring as much of this world as I can.


What else is happening next in your world?


Right now we’re gearing up for the record release and tour. After that, I’m looking forward to writing some new material and finding another cool spot to record it in.


Thanks for an awesome interview, Nico!


 


 


Connect with Nico Rivers & the Black Grass


Website: http://nicorivers.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/nicoriversmusic


YouTube: http://youtube.com/nicoriversmusic

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/nicorivers




Genres: Acoustic, Alternative, Americana, Folk, Rock

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts