When Soul’s Cry

When Soul’s Cry

Tell us about yourself and your music


My stage name is Namliss (nameless). I chose this because Hero starring Jet Li is my favorite movie of all time and I liken my music to the main character. He was on a mission to take down the tyrannical king and worked his entire life on one skill-set to do it. I feel the same way about my music. I am sharpening my songwriting skills for the ultimate killing stroke (so to speak 🙃). I am a retired 20-year Air Force veteran, and my dream is to put everything the military has taught me into my craft.


Talk to us more about your latest release


Soul Cry is from my album titled The Shift. I decided to strip away the conscious, battle rapping, love-song making artist in order for the audience to see the man. It’s the raw detailing of my hardships that have allowed me to become the unstoppable force I am now. People in this world are in pain. I need my audience to understand how much I understand their pain by sharing my own. Soul Cry is my willingness to be vulnerable.



What inspired you to write this release?


I was wrongfully released from the military after 20 years of service. Long story short, I was the height of achieving my next rank and in less than six months, it was all stripped away and my life was over. I have my heart to my God, country, and serve only to be left in the dark. I retired honorably, but my heart was in my service and job. Soul Cry is me pouring out my soul because I was a veteran now that had no sense of where I was going until i began pursuing music again.


Describe the writing and recording process


Soul Cry is a lamentation of sorts, so I recorded it in one take leaving all mistakes on the track so the listener knows it’s real. Voice cracks and tears flowing, this song doesn’t have a chorus unless you count the emotional content as such. Red house studios in Seoul, Korea was the location and the track is produced by Tone Jonez.


Any plans to release a video?



Any plans to hit the road?


I currently live in Japan, and once I finish peninsula-wide musical dominance, I’m moving forward to the rest of the world!


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


I make music for ADULTS. I am not afraid to “bend” the bars when necessary because Hip-Hip is missing my kind. The type of artist that actually cares about the musicality as well as the content and message. It’s time to admit the commercialization of rap has generated a hip-pop genre all its own, and I refuse to be that. I am a real human being and the human experience transcends the limits of pop culture’s influence on hip hop.


Who have you been listening to lately?


I love Anderson.Paak, Roddy rich, Koffee, and I search YouTube all day for live performances by Buju Banton, Robert Glasper, the roots, and Black Star.


Who are your biggest influences?


Talib Kweli, John P. Kee, Busta Rhymes, the dude that sang lead for Creed, Mali Music, of course, Black Thought, D’Angelo, and Zac Brown Band.


Tell us about your passions


I’m passionate about what I will echo into eternity when I’m gone. How/If I will Be remembered is my driving force at this very moment. I want to make the voice I was given count for something.


What else is happening next in your world?


I am the happiest I have ever been despite seeing my former brothers and sisters in arms having to potentially face yet another conflict without me.


I am staying the course despite the sobering reality that this is the first year I have NOT somehow been involved in the defense of the United States in 20 years.


 


 


Thanks for an awesome interview, Namliss


 


 


Connect with Namliss


Website: https://music.apple.com/us/artist/namliss/1299266009Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ascribecalledblest/Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/_namlissTwitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/namliss




Genres: Hip Hop

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts