Tha Shogun is Coming

Tha Shogun is Coming

Tell us about yourself and your music


I was born in Houston, Texas. I spent most of my life in a small town called Missouri City, Texas which is a little bit outside of Houston. Ever since I was 4 or 5 years old I loved singing. I started off singing R&B and what’s now called old school R&B. I would sing songs by Johnny Gill, Keith Sweat, Dru Hill and Jodeci. When I got a little bit older I started getting into Hip Hop/Rap. Started off with Dr. Dre, Tupac, Biggie and other local rappers. I’d say my biggest influences are Tupac, Wu-tang Clan, and Eminem. With my music I mix Hip Hop with R&B while at the same time having a need to tell a story. I have a need to use my voice and speak what’s on my mind with no regret or remorse. It all comes from a place of truth.


Talk to us more about your latest release


The last real single I released was back in April a couple of days after Easter Sunday and it just so happens to be called Sinner. I wrote it with the intention of subtly confessing a lot of the things I had done within the last 7 years of my life. Not just confessing but what those sins did to me personally and how they had a huge affect on my life.



What inspired you to write this release?


I wanted to go deeper into my mind and pull from experiences or events in my life that I could not only put on paper but have an overall message I wanted to get across. I also wanted to show that I could be relatable with my music. Someone out there has gone through the same exact thing.


Describe the writing and recording process


When I’m writing lyrics I look at it from a poetic perspective. I don’t just write the first thing that comes to mind. There has to be meaning behind every word, every line that’s written. It can’t sound similar to someone else’s work. It has to be thought provoking. When I record, I want to make sure my delivery matches the tone I’m going for. It can’t be just high pitched, monotone or loud just for the sake of being loud.


Any plans to release a video?




Any plans to hit the road?


Though not all the details are out yet, I plan to be in Gary, Indiana and STL late July. Early August I will be in Hollywood so that’s going to be fun.


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


I made a decision when I started releasing music to be as unique as possible. Give people something different while at the same time given them the music that sounds like real Hip Hop and what real Rap stands for. I didn’t want to follow some of these newer rappers with the whole “mumble rap” style. I came into music wanting to be lyrical more than anything else.


Who have you been listening to lately?


It’s been a mix, actually. Eminem for starters, then a lot of Wu-tang Clan, some local rappers like Z-Ro, UGK, Swisha House and Screwed Up Clique.


Who are your biggest influences?


Biggest influences would be Tupac and Eminem. Tupac because he was more than just a rapper. He was a poet. He came from a place of truth and not afraid to speak his mind. Same goes for Eminem. Eminem is the one who helped me make up my mind that I wanted to be a rapper. I feel like he spoke for people like me. People who at one point if their lives thought that they wouldn’t amount to much or they had to follow this pattern everyone else follows in life; you keep your head down, you work, that’s it. It’s like he gave me that validation to really say what I wanted and needed to say.


Tell us about your passions


Music was honestly the first passion I had but for a long time I felt it was one of those passions I had to keep to myself because I wasn’t entirely sure I would get the support I needed to continue. In college I became an actor. I haven’t been active for a while. And gaming is a third passion for me.


What else is happening next in your world?


I want to continue releasing music, working with other artists, growing my fan base and traveling. Music is my main focus right now.


 


 


Thanks for an awesome interview, Methodikal Tha Shogun


 


 


Connect with Methodikal Tha Shogun


Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/methodikmuzik/Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/methodikmuzikTwitter: https://www.twitter.com/methodikmuzikYoutube: https://www.youtube.com/c/MethodikalThaShogunSoundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/methodikal-tha-shogun




Genres: Rap

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts