My Latest Single

My Latest Single

Tell us about yourself and your music


My piano compositions have been like a diary that I am sharing with the world. This is why it took me so long to finally release it. It’s so personal. My first composition “Intertwining the Heart & the Mind” was about a phase in my life where I had a very difficult time making a romantic choice a decade ago. My piano has been my outlet to express myself even today when I feel a certain way – I sit and I play the composition that most resonates with how I feel at that exact moment. It became a need when there was no one that I knew that could empathize and give me what I needed to hear. I am a piano instructor as well and I love the idea of teaching improvisation to all my students. This has been the healthiest way for me to express myself and I thought to share this with the world. I even notated the music and it is free for download for anyone who ever finds themselves wanting to learn it.


Talk to us more about your latest release


When do you follow your heart? Or do you follow your mind? Hear the piece that helped me intertwine my heart and my mind.

My first composition “Intertwining the Heart & the Mind” was about a phase in my life where I had a very difficult time making a romantic choice a decade ago. I kept going back to this piece while I was going through that difficult situation. It helped me find my clarity and balance. This piece has different moods with modulations and it constantly goes back to a theme – what do I follow – my heart or my mind? Romantic choices have always been very difficult for me. On my main home website, I am offering a free sheet music download.



What inspired you to write this release?


When do you follow your heart? Or do you follow your mind? Hear the piece that helped me intertwine my heart and my mind.

My first composition “Intertwining the Heart & the Mind” was about a phase in my life where I had a very difficult time making a romantic choice a decade ago. I kept going back to this piece while I was going through that difficult situation. It helped me find my clarity and balance. This piece has different moods with modulations and it constantly goes back to a theme – what do I follow? – my heart or my mind? Romantic choices have always been very difficult for me.


Describe the writing and recording process


So I wrote this piece a decade ago and it started with the theme. I improvised and once I figured a natural chord progression – I created a beautiful variation of the theme. The modulation sounded beautiful and where it needed to happen. I recorded this piece at Mirror Recording Studio in NYC.


Any plans to release a video?




Any plans to hit the road?


Due to Co-vid none… but I am going to do a pretty rad music video so stay tuned.


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


I play the piano in a variety of flexible poses. I have 22 years of tae kwon do, 27 years of music, a year as yoga and aerial teacher – so why not? If you check out my social media I have some upside downplaying… laying downplaying… and much more.


Who have you been listening to lately?


I LOVE Philip Glass. I am learning his pieces. Minimal music has been such a beautiful experience for me and also is similar to my compositions. I’ve been more into relaxing music especially during these times. It’s therapeutic


Who are your biggest influences?


My biggest influences are Philip Glass, Erik Satie, and Brian Crain.


Tell us about your passions


I am highly passionate about music education resources – being that I also create reliable music resources for children and adults. I wrote and illustrated The Eras, which focuses on European music history; a Latin Instruments Coloring Book; and music theory/ music as a biology Youtube video series “Music Foundation”. I through quizzes on my Instagram and Facebook every time I do them and I have workbooks ready for download. It’s so much fun teaching and inspiring.


My next passion is teaching – music & yoga (I taught tae kwon do classes when I was 18 shh). The best feeling ever is sharing and inspiring and seeing others achieve their dreams. Seeing a kid or adult learn a song they had a hard time or finally face the fear of stage performance (I’ve been there)


I’m passionate about auditory perception and studying on it even though I’m not enrolled in a school. I studied piano tech and I tune pianos so I’m very curious about how sound travels.


Playing my comps in as many awkward poses as possible… just stay tuned for it all.


What else is happening next in your world?


I am working on another book and yes —- a music video!!


 


 


Thanks for an awesome interview, Gisel A Costa


 


 


Connect with Gisel A Costa


Website: https://www.giselacosta.com/Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/giselang.costa/Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/giselangcostaTwitter: https://twitter.com/giselangcostaYoutube: https://www.youtube.com/giselacostaLinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/giselcosta/




Genres: Classical

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts