Audiovendor, electro-pop with a retro and melodic flair.

Audiovendor, electro-pop with a retro and melodic flair.

Tell us about yourself and your music


Hi, my name is Norman Yourell and I also go under the band name of Audiovendor, who are an electro-pop studio band based in London, England.

I’m the songwriter and lead vocalist, as well as sequence programmer, producer, arranger and play keyboards too.

We write original songs with a retro feel, all produced with modern contemporary sounds and beats using synthesizers.


Talk to us more about your latest release


The first track “Superhuman” originally released in 2016 is from the first album entitled Retro Radio released on June 12th which was recorded, mixed and produced in both Fluke Productions Studios (Luke Henderson) and Abbey Road Studios London (Alex Wharton).



What inspired you to write this release?


I think my love of electro and disco fused together was my big inspiration for this one?


I’m a big fan of Giorgio Moroder so using a ‘phased’ staccato-style programmed baseline to build the track around was the first idea, followed by overlayed strings.


The backing vocal was supposed to be choral as the idea of the song being called ‘Superhuman’ was larger than life.


The rapped verse of Lemoy the Siamese Empress (of whom I got to write for and record with me) lends a female identity to the main vocalist’s counterpart, even though I tend to write my lyrics from a universal, asexual point of view.


Describe the writing and recording process


I tend to do a lot of pre-planning when it comes to recording in the studio with the writing and programming previously completed.


This gives me more time to choose what modern and contemporary sounds to allocate to the sequences.


I like to begin with using my Roland XP-50 to sequence all the parts.


Then using old-school procedures I play the live parts in and ether program straight to the computer or put it on floppy disc from the keyboard via a separate module.


After that I transfer it to a USB stick and take it in to the studio.
This gives me more time to concentrate on re-recording any live piano/keyboard parts and on the vocal parts too.


Any plans to release a video?




Any plans to hit the road?


In previous bands I would gig with backing tracks only, choosing which pre-mixed versions of the songs to use so that live instruments could be played along with the Tascam reel to reel.
As my first ‘Audiovendor’ album ‘Retro Radio’ has just been released I plan on concentrating on the promotion before any live work for the moment.


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


I think the style of music I tend to write songs for although electronic, are written with distinctive melodies and song structures in mind?


Electro-pop covers a lot of ground when it comes to the production of a song for me so although contemporary sounds are used, the actual construction of the writing lends itself to a retro feel?


Couple that with using a lot of orchestral parts and it sounds different from most music out there.


Who have you been listening to lately?


I recently have been listening to the remixes of the band the Freemasons which I quite like.


Who are your biggest influences?


I’m influenced by anything and everything that has a classic pop-song structure, whether it be from the ‘60s through to the ‘00s and beyond.


Even more recently, I have been re-listening to bands like the Human League, Vince Clarke, Soft Cell, A-ha and Pet Shop Boys.


One of the songs on the album was written as a James Bond theme and although I like to listen to film soundtracks it was the most different song I’d ever done.


Tell us about your passions


My musical passions aside from electro or synth-pop would be disco, eg: anything by Chic, Abba or the Bee Gees.


What else is happening next in your world?


I’ve already begun the initial stages of writing the next album.
The direction this album may take is yet undecided and will be dependant on the choosing of the tracks?
More than likely it will be a bit more eclectic than the last.


 


 


Thanks for an awesome interview, Audiovendor Limited


 


 


Connect with Audiovendor Limited


Website: https://www.audiovendormusic.comFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/audiovendormusic/Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/audiovendorTwitter: https://www.twitter.com/audiovendorYoutube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCike8KVoXC6xbJVUx5VA8vwSoundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-794321002




Genres: Melodic

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts