DIY Music from Audubon Savant

As a self employed mechanic, and while remodeling my house, I picked up my guitar after years of storage. I started playing covers and imitating vocals in an effort to calm my two young kids down. Surprisingly, they stopped crying for five minutes. Over the years, I started writing my own songs but never recorded them. Three years ago, I made a serious effort to pursue my passion in music and to write down and record all of my songs. Using a laptop, Bird Herd by Audubon Savant, my debut CD was born. I wrote, produced, arranged, played all instruments, and sang all vocals on this DIY project.

Joe MoranThe title track contains field observations of blackburnian warblers, brown headed blackbirds, marsh wrens, and black necked stilts. Primarily, it features my observations of the propagated whooping crane population of Wisconsin's Horicon Marsh program. Since 1992, I have seen the 13 bird flock grow to almost 400. I have seen them avert incoming aircraft at O'Hare airport and watched them regroup over my house after a storm. I have kept a 19+ year log of their movements. The song, "Bird Herd", is a documentary of a man in an ultralight aircraft, dressed up in a giant whooping crane costume to imprint the chicks. They succeeded in teaching migration to and from Wisconsin and Florida. My bird count increases every year, now almost 400.

The debut CD, Bird Herd by local artist Audubon Savant is available on itunes and most outlets. Order now on CDBaby and get the punk, pop song "Responsibility" for free. Also, order now and get the 11 song CD for $5, for a limited time on CDBaby.com.

My title track "Bird Herd” is featured on the movie trailer for the upcoming documentary, “The Man Who Saves Cranes”, a collaboration of the International Crane Foundation, Audubon Magazine and AMI Radio from Bradenton Beach, FL. It all started when the photo editor from Audubon, Lila Garnet, got off the phone with Casey Hoffman at AMI about a contest to select a whooping crane song to be in their documentary. As soon as she popped in “Bird Herd”, which is largely about whooping crane migration, I instantly won the contest and rotation on AM, FM, and Internet radio.

I had a tarot card reading a while back (not that I believe in this stuff) that said I would be successful in music and would travel. With a career as a floor-machine mechanic, it seemed unlikely. Yet, two years later, I had won this Audubon contest and was asked to travel to the Int’l Crane event in Baraboo, WI. There I met a personal hero of mine, George Archibald, who is like the Jane Goodall of the bird world. Surprisingly, he asked me for my autograph, and I ended up signing CD’s for scientists from around the world. I was a celebrity for 4 hours and then went back home to work on floor cleaning machines.

My second album, “Poochman”, continues my observations about various topics: avoiding neighborhood parties, ecoterrorists, poetry from my late sister and her amazing criminal activities, raising my kids, and marriage. The album includes a punk-country song about homelessness and the 99% Live Single, an Occupy Movement anthem, all which will be released through Oasis. I hope you find that it’s an interesting, diverse playlist.

http://www.reverbnation.com/audubonsavant

Comments

Popular Posts