Artist Interview: Vincristine

Artist Interview: Vincristine

Tell us about yourself and your music


Vincristine was started in 2011 as a result of cancer treatment providing me a lot of time to occupy myself. I used that time to learn more about music and learn how to play guitar. Ultimately starting with an inspiration from Nirvana, my musical tastes came to encompass a wide breadth of rock and metal.


Talk to us more about your latest release


The Machine focuses on incorporating a variety of rock and metal elements into a single atmosphere. Intricacies of psychedelic, progressive, and stoner rock and metal are blended with the simplicity of grunge, punk, and contemporary rock.


 



 


What inspired you to write this release?


While various tracks take inspiration from various events or ideas, mostly ideas of alienation and social commentary, there was no real moment of inspiration for the release itself. It was simply a result of knowing it was something I wanted to do in my life, and my efforts over the years culminated into an album.


 


Any plans to release a video?


High-production videos are not currently in the works, but a psychedelic atmospheric video accompanying The Machine’s second track “Afterbirth” was recently published to our Youtube channel after sitting in the archives for over a year.


 



 


Any plans to hit the road?


 


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


I try to take an approach that fits in with genres but doesn’t merely copy other bands. There’s a line that a lot of artists cross where being inspired by a band or genre stops being inspiration and starts being pandering and almost plagiarizing. While I certainly want to be respected by fans of the genres I like, I don’t want to go so deep into it that I lose my own sound and become “just another band.” A lot of work was put into making the wide variety of influences work together and create a unique sound for our band, and I think its really important to cut out your own distinguishable sonic space in order to stand out.


 


Who have you been listening to lately?


Alcest, Unida, The Bad Light, Pond, and Fulgeance.


Tell us about your passions


Art and game design are two creative outlets really interesting me. I haven’t been into game design for about 7 years, so I’m getting back on the horse and learning new things. I’ve been making artwork for a few years now but only recently got into digital painting. Additionally I also work on a lot of music projects outside of my primary band. Ideally I’d love to make something that fuses all my passions into a cohesive presentation.


What else is happening next in your world?


Expecting a review of our music in a french metal publication within the coming weeks, and currently working on the successor to The Machine.


Thanks for an awesome interview, Nicholas!


 


 


Connect with Vincristine


Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VincristineMusic/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/VincristineBand

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDtTdLqUR8TByZdds92X0VA

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/vincristinemusic/

Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/vincristine




Genres: Metal, Progressive Rock, Rock

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts