Artist Interview: Marshall Fike

Artist Interview: Marshall Fike

Tell us about yourself and your music


I am a Christian musician/songwriter from Uniontown, Pennsylvania. The music I write and perform is meant to give people hope that there is someone larger than they that will give them comfort in their time of need. Someone who will be there when they think there is nowhere else to turn. I retired from a career in Corrections to make music full time that spreads this message.


Talk to us more about your latest release


My first CD release is “My Next Step” that included the radio release ‘I Wanna Dance’ that was aired on radio stations around the United States. The song was inspired by a passage in the book of Psalms that says we should praise Him with the trumpet, harp, and lyre, with the tambourine and dancing.


I am currently finishing up my follow-up CD that is tentatively titled “Colors” that will be ready for release in the next month.



What inspired you to write this release?


I believe I was called to write, record and perform music that has been laid on my heart by God. I pray that my music touches people in a way that, at the very least, makes them think about where they are on their spiritual journey and ultimately leads them on a personal walk with their Savior Jesus Christ.


Describe the writing and recording process


Most of my inspiration comes straight from the Bible. A lot of times it is one verse that jumps out at me and I think “this would make a great song” and the words flow from that. Other times, something will happen to me or someone I know and I will think about what the Bible says God will do or has done for us that goes with that situation.


Any plans to release a video?


Yes, I would like to release more videos and not just live show footage. We did do a video for the song “I Am Redeemed”. I have to thank Marlin Cowsert and Brody McCoy for their help in filming and editing that one.



Any plans to hit the road?


I have been keeping the gigs fairly close to home, within about a two-hour radius, but I am not against a full-blown tour if the right opportunity arises.


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


I have been using The Management Agency out of Jacksonville, Florida to help with the branding, social media, website, etc. I keep my logo and artwork consistent on all of the advertising on Facebook, Twitter, posters and anywhere there is room for visual things. I also try to post video reminders of shows along with the getting ready parts of that day like right before sound checks or leaving my house to go to the gig.


Who have you been listening to lately?


Rend Collective and Jeremy Benjamin are high on my list right now, but I am always trying to learn new things about music in general. I’m a music geek, so I watch a lot of tutorials about music theory. Odd things like Coltrane’s Fractals or talking about polyrhythms and irrational time signatures really get my musical juices flowing.


Who are your biggest influences?


I have such an eclectic range of music that I enjoy that it is hard to pinpoint any “biggest” influences. I like people from Wes Montgomery to Indigo Girls and Led Zepplin to Coolio. Then I go from old school Christian artists like Petra and Carmen to new schools like Crowder and Lecrae. I try to use all of these influences to better my music and better my ability to convey what I am trying to say to people.


Tell us about your passions


My family. I have a beautiful, loving, supportive wife and two wonderful kids that keep me on my toes.


What else is happening next in your world?


Hopefully a lot more music!


 


 


Thanks for an awesome interview, Marshall


 


 


Connect with Marshall Fike


Website: http://marshallfike.com/Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/marshallfikemusic/Twitter: https://twitter.com/marshallfikeReverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/marshallfikeSoundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/marshall-fikeYoutube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVOcWn_DSKaX81sku7Afh2g?view_as=subscriber




Genres: singer-songwriter

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts