Artist Interview: Jaq Lion

Artist Interview: Jaq Lion

Tell us about yourself and your music


I’m a thirty-something artist / former military brat who has traveled and performed across the globe. I love music and traveling, and particularly enjoy combining the two whenever possible. I currently live in Los Angeles where I have been located since 2011, and have sung for a national commercial for The Voice as well as for the soundtrack of the Natalie Portman-led film “Jane Got A Gun.” Aside from co-founding the smash hitting hip-hop group High Sunday, I have released a solo EP as well as multiple covers with the love of my life, Gina D’Acciaro under the name Jaq-n-Gina, and we perform regularly at Rockwell Table and Stage in Hollywood, as well as with Dedrick Bonner and the Singers of the Soul across Los Angeles and for tv and film. I’ve sung everything from hip hop to opera, and I love to write hip-hop and R&B.


Talk to us more about your latest release


My latest release is a cover from Jaq-n-Gina called “Isn’t it Strange” – an original song from a new musical by The Thirsty Pigeons that I acted in on stage and is being developed for network release. The Thirsty Pigeons are a talented singing/songwriting duo comprised of my dear friend David San Miguel and Chandler Darby (Bad Grandpa). The song is a touching duet that Gina and I covered and created a music video for that is online on YouTube.


 



 


What inspired you to write this release?


I didn’t write this most recent release but I did write everything on my EP entitled “Inaug[(yo)ur]ation” which is also available on iTunes, SoundCloud and NoiseTrade, and Gina and I have started working on new original music for an upcoming debut album!


Any plans to release a video?


We do have a plan to release a new video for a mashup we have arranged dropping this summer! Be sure to subscribe to our YouTube for updates and follow our socials to get an inside glimpse of our lives together!


 



 


Any plans to hit the road?


We are performing on 3/28 and 4/10 at Rockwell Table and Stage in Los Feliz, as well as 3/22 at Chromolume Theatre in Los Angeles. Come out and play!


As an indie artist, how do you brand yourself and your music to stand out from the rest of the artists out there?


I struggle with this because I do not have the capital that comes with a record deal or working with a major label. But I work closely with DashGo, my distributor, and with CD Baby to get my music out there, and I also update my socials when I can. I have a philosophy with music that is to put the music out there into the universe and to just love what I do so that I am fueled to continue doing it forever. Take it or leave it, I will not stop.


Who have you been listening to lately?


I have recently found an amazing funk group named Vulfpeck, and I’m really digging their discography. I have also been enjoying The Dirty Projectors last album, and a blend of radio, my own iPod, and new artists online. Everything from TLC and Lauryn Hill to Charlie Putnam and Selena Gomez. I consider myself a student of music and love the influences that come from any source that I vibe with!


Tell us about your passions


I love acting and protecting artists rights in the digital sphere. I also love working out, working on my Master’s degree in Music Business and in the very little free time I get I love to watch film and tv. I saw Black Panther and I’m still working my way through Stranger Things 2!


What else is happening next in your world?


My new wife and I will be honeymooning in Europe this fall and we are very excited for whatever is coming our way here in Los Angeles and New York! We can’t share details but we are moving forward and crazy excited about the new opportunities!!


Thanks for an awesome interview, Jaq!


 


 


Connect with Jaq Lion


Website: https://www.jaqgalliano.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jaqngina/


YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC9a3jWGIV0zzC8QEUo5ElXA

Soundcloud: https://www.soundcloud.com/jaqlion




Genres: Hip Hop, R&B, Soul

Source: ArtistPR Indie Artist Interview

Comments

Popular Posts